View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 12:13 AM

Yang spent most of his time in the last week in New Hampshire and South Carolina. He went to Jim Clyburn's fish fry and leaped off the stage. 'There's an Asian man running for president who wants to give everyone $1,000': Andrew Yang introduces himself to crowd at South Carolina fish fry with running leap off stage

After the Bill Maher show, the tone of Yang's social media that Yang doesn't have control over has changed a bit, IMO. There are more people joining every day, but also a few more trolls than there were. And there are well-meaning people who now want to change the sub to their liking since they've now joined. It's inevitable, but the change is noticeable because it's so quick. The positive tone is still very much predominant though, which is nice. Yang does his best to try to keep it positive, so that helps.

Quote:
Hello #YangGang - thank you so much for your support!! Please do keep our online discussions positive and wholesome - we will win more people over plus it’s the #HumanityFirst way to respect others’ points of view. Thank you and let’s make history in 2020!
Some people do change their tone after seeing something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
Paul Krugman took a slam at Yang and Yang responded.
Amy Webb, futurist, author and professor at NYU, agreed with Yang.

I was happy to see Nick Hanauer, entrepreneur and venture capitalist, writing similar ideas to Yang on education. Hanauer changed his ideas on what he thought the answer was to the problem of wealth inequality, then he wrote about what changed his mind. Basically what changed his mind are some of the same stats that Yang used to form his theories on how to fix the educational system.

Hanauer is a huge proponent of a $15/hr minimum wage, but even in that article, that idea wouldn't help his hypothetical family get the $29K they would have gotten if wages kept up with GDP. A UBI would do more for that. From what I've seen, it looks like Hanauer backs Buttigieg. I haven't seen him write anything about Yang. I don't know if he knows anything about Yang.

Hanauer talks about the theory that if the educational systems were fixed, then wealth inequality would be reduced. He recently realized that wealth inequality needs to be fixed first before the solution of education can take hold on a broader scale. Yang emphasizes the fixes for wealth inequality but also emphasizes other forms of education such as jobs training as well.

My Latest: “Like many rich Americans, I used to think better schools could heal the country’s ills,” writes @NickHanauer, “but I was wrong.”

Better Schools Won’t Fix America
Like many rich Americans, I used to think educational investment could heal the country’s ills—but I was wrong. Fighting inequality must come first.

Quote:
Long ago, I was captivated by a seductively intuitive idea, one many of my wealthy friends still subscribe to: that both poverty and rising inequality are largely consequences of America’s failing education system. Fix that, I believed, and we could cure much of what ails America.

This belief system, which I have come to think of as “educationism,”. . .
But after decades of organizing and giving, I have come to the uncomfortable conclusion that I was wrong. And I hate being wrong.

What I’ve realized, decades late, is that educationism is tragically misguided. American workers are struggling in large part because they are underpaid—and they are underpaid because 40 years of trickle-down policies have rigged the economy in favor of wealthy people like me. Americans are more highly educated than ever before, but despite that, and despite nearly record-low unemployment, most American workers—at all levels of educational attainment—have seen little if any wage growth since 2000.

To be clear: We should do everything we can to improve our public schools. But our education system can’t compensate for the ways our economic system is failing Americans.. . .
In short, great public schools are the product of a thriving middle class, not the other way around. Pay people enough to afford dignified middle-class lives, and high-quality public schools will follow. But allow economic inequality to grow, and educational inequality will inevitably grow with it.

By distracting us from these truths, educationism is part of the problem.
Hanauer then notes that if wages kept pace with productivity, an average worker would be making $29K more per year.

Quote:
Today, after wealthy elites gobble up our outsize share of national income, the median American family is left with $76,000 a year. Had hourly compensation grown with productivity since 1973—as it did over the preceding quarter century, according to the Economic Policy Institute—that family would now be earning more than $105,000 a year. Just imagine, education reforms aside, how much larger and stronger and better educated our middle class would be if the median American family enjoyed a $29,000-a-year raise.
Yang can imagine a raise for about that much for every family. He calls it the Freedom Dividend. A family of two adults would get $24K or almost a $29K raise. The fixes that Hanauer mentions such as strengthening unions and a $15/hr minimum wage wouldn't actually help the average family get that much of a raise.

Hanauer then notes why some people still want to believe in educationism.

Quote:
Educationism appeals to the wealthy and powerful because it tells us what we want to hear: that we can help restore shared prosperity without sharing our wealth or power.
It's a common refrain.

On an unrelated but slightly parallel note, Yang wrote this email this week.

Quote:
"Random Man Runs for President" was the headline of the recent Washington Post Magazine cover story about me and the campaign. The theme of the story is that I am a fairly normal guy who is now running for President and changing the conversation.

I like the article a lot. The journalist did a wonderful job.

The fact is, though, that I’m NOT normal. And that’s sort of the point.

The average American lives in Ohio or Maine (the average states) and has a net worth of $36k, $6k if you exclude home and vehicle equity. He or she attended one year of college or post-secondary school and would struggle with an unexpected $500 bill.

THAT’s normal.
. . .
For a politician or presidential candidate, I seem fairly normal. But I have no illusions that I’m a regular guy or the average American. The average American couldn’t drop everything and decide to run for President. If they did, they would likely attract no attention. And the bills would catch up very quickly.

That’s what happened to Richard. [Ojeda]

I’ve had a very fortunate life and am thrilled to do my part to push this country in the right direction. This campaign is about one thing – improving the life of the average American.

When someone like me is considered normal, it’s a bad sign for our democracy. Too many Americans feel like their voices are unimportant.
It's nice to see he hasn't forgotten this.

Yang is scheduled to be on The Stephen Colbert show on Monday 6/24/19. Spiderman (Tom Holland) is also scheduled for that night. Yang is a Spiderman fan.

Then it's the DNC debates on Thursday 6/27/19. (This picture and the caption made me laugh.)