View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scylla View Post
Thorny:

I know I promised you the last word, but I cannot stand to see the math butchered the way you did.

You canít add percentages that way.

If 50% of people are male, and 50% of people are female and 20% are minorities and 20% are left handed, and 39% admit to picking their noses and eating when nobody is looking that does not add up to 179%

Three things:

One, those examples aside from the genders are all overlapping categories. You gave the statistics which I added as separate categories, which can indeed be added, just as 39% male adults and 11% male children would add up to 50% male; and just as 50% male and 50% female would add up to 100% of the group as given.

I didn't have the time, and don't have it now, to drill down through your figures in further detail. But people who are entirely unemployed and those who are working part time but would like to work full time are indeed two separate categories. I will grant you that I may have misunderstood "Those who usually work full time living in poverty"; I took it to mean people who do have full time jobs at the time of the statistic, but perhaps that figure includes both some people currently working part time and some people not employed at all, in which case you're correct that it couldn't simply be added; though as at least some people in that group would be neither unemployed nor working part time some portion of it would be additive.

Two: I was talking about all market forces, not only about wages. What I am worried about isn't only wages; it's that in general in this game of musical chairs there are fewer chairs than people. The "chairs" are jobs in which one can make a living. They not only don't include full time jobs at poverty level or lower wages, they also don't include part time jobs when full time are needed, and they don't include jobs which for any of a number of reasons aren't accessible to people who need a job and are willing to work at it.

Three: did you miss the part where I said the exact percentage doesn't matter; the issue is that it's not right to blame people for not being able to meet their bills when the system requires there to be people who aren't able to meet their bills?