View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
That's a pretty gross thing to say in the first sentence. The second sentence? I mean, c'mon man.
You've pretty much demonstrated what as I said, which is that you cannot point out the history of Zionism, and you cannot point out the influence and impact of Zionist lobbying without being called an antisemite. That's because the pro-Israel causes have been successful in shaping the narrative of Israel as a victim, essentially equating Israel's victimization with that of the Jews in late 19th Century and early 20th Century Europe.

The reality is that Zionism was not necessarily harmless; it has been a disruptive movement. Zionism uprooted people, caused upheaval in a society that was predominately Muslim and Christian. That is the historical reality, and the Zionists have been trying to sell people around the world on this notion that Zionism was just a bunch of European Jews trying to escape pogroms who then ended up harmlessly and quietly settling in completely abandoned and uninhabited areas and were then inexplicably hated as settlers because they're Jewish, and that is nothing but simplistic, falsified history. Yes, many of them were escaping horrific antisemitism in Europe - no denying that. But all along, they intended to mass migrate and create a new state and new culture - the feelings of its existing inhabitants be damned.

Is it my use of the words Zionism and Zionist that bother you? Do those words trigger perceptions of antisemitism on my part, because I honestly don't equate those terms with inherent Jewishness. Someone can be Jewish, even conservative Jewish, and not necessarily all that interested in the fate of Israel as a Jewish state, just as you can have an Israel that is inclusive to more than just Jews (don't tell that to the Likud, thoguh). If my use of the words "Zionism" and "Zionists" are offensive, I'm sorry but I don't know what else to call it. Maybe we could call it Jewish nationalism?