View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
Summertime or In the Summertime, by MungoJerry. "If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal, if her daddy's poor, just do what you feel".
Eh? If the girl has money, do something that costs some money. If the girl has no money find something you can do that doesn't cost money.

To put an objectionable spin on it would require some odd mental contortions. IMO, or course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYorick View Post
The classic example for me will always be "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan, where a man laments his crappy life before jumping to his death, all to a snappy beat.

ETA: Although I admit I still liked the song even after learning the lyrics. I'm sick.
Nothing sick about it, unless any song about suicide is inherently sick. (Which I don't think is the case.) The lyrics are the best part of the song. Robert Christgau says, "...its tossed-off structure matches its casual, crucial equation of filial and romantic affection."

He lists the reasons for his sadness, but doesn't get bathetic. The bridge focuses on the world's problems rather than his own.
I love the casually devastating lines,
Left standing in the lurch, at a church
Where people 're saying,
"My God that's tough, she stood him up.
No point in us remaining."

Last edited by Baal Houtham; 06-06-2011 at 12:59 PM.