View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

All I am saying is that dog breeds that have trouble mating and birthing naturally (those with wide heads) have always had these problems.

Humans have always had many problems with birth as well. Our infants also have wide heads, which have trouble navigating our bipedal pelvises.

Once technology became widely available and affordable, the former level of risk involved in birth became unacceptable. Of course 32% of (American) human mothers would not be dying/injured, or have dying/injured babies, without their section. The section rate has skyrocketed just in the last two decades, while perinatal mortality and maternal death rates have remained about the same.

I don't assume that because surgical interventions have become normal for both, the majority are life-saving. And unlike the majority of women who get a trial of labor (which is carefully monitored and cut short on any suspicion of fetal distress), breeds with a high c-section rate are having elective c-sections performed.

See this.

Because nearly 100% of French Bulldog bitches are sectioned, we now have no idea which ones would be capable of natural birth, and no evidence that those which would be if they were allowed are decreasing in number.

But you are correct that there is nothing now to prevent an increase in bitches/puppies with fatal traits.. however I don't see how it matters because they are all being sectioned anyway, and will continue to be forever I imagine because no one knows what the risks will be without it. It's become a cycle.

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 10-14-2009 at 02:53 PM.