View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
But that’s my point: if a minority of dictionaries list it that way, then I wasn’t wrong; the poster who stated that it’s listed as derogatory in any dictionary was wrong, and should’ve made some other claim instead.
I also pointed out that dictionary was over 40 years old and thus is not current. I'm sure if you looked in a dictionary from, say 1850 the term n***** would not be listed as offensive as it is now, and "negro" would be deemed polite although at best it's borderline these days.

Hence my reference to "hairsplitting".

Quote:
It’s an interesting — and derogatory? — claim that you’re putting out there; I
take it you mean I’m not a decent human, because no matter what else I do I refer to such people as ‘illegals’ instead of ‘illegal aliens’ or ‘people who are here illegally’ or whichever term you prefer?
Remember this phrase: "people are not illegal". In other words, "legal" is an adjective, not a noun. "Illegal aliens" and "people who are here illegally" are both more acceptable that using "illegal" as a noun.

Quote:
If so, then: if you had to guess, what percent of this country would you figure “are not decent humans”?
Seat of my pants? Around 40% these days. That's a wild ass guess, I have no statistics or cites to back it up with, it's purely opinion.