View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
Like the Leaf a great pure commuting car and a complete fail for anything other than that. Not a car to use for driving 300 miles over a weekend, even if you are ending at home to charge each night after a lot of local stuff.... Using experience with an i3 to inform about driving a car with three times the electric range is not realistic. If you bought that car thinking to use it for anything other than pure commuting, well you should have thought again.
I never said nor implied that I drive 300 miles over a weekend. The weekend trips that I'm talking about were all less than about 50 miles from my home.

And what's with your weird habit of lecturing an EV owner about the advantages and disadvantages of an EV, when you don't have one? Especially your effort to explain to me the attributes of the car I drive every day, that you have apparently just read about? Are you the sort of guy who goes to parties and says, "Oh, you're a doctor? Well I'm a software engineer, but let me tell you about what being a physician is like..."

Quote:
Two, acknowledged that if your 300 miles of week end driving does not include either a place that will at least give you access to plug in your portable 110 charge overnight, or some level 2 spots near where you might want to stop for a bit, then it could be a challenge. A 3 hour drive into the countryside stopping at some random motel might not work. Pretty easy to find ChargePoints in most metropolitan areas and not too difficult to arrange to stay at a hotel that has level 2 in many week end level tourist locations.
But you're not really following the point: trips in EVs that amount to something more than the round-trip range of the EV require planning that is something that the vast majority of people just aren't used to. You had asserted a while back that fast charging for longer trips is "inconsequential," as someone can charge up when they have lunch. Ideally, yes, but it isn't a simple as that. And it doesn't have to do with the absolute range of the car: an eGolf owner planning a 150 mile trip will more or less face the same planning issue as a Model 3 owner planning a 350 mile trip -- the main difference is simply how often they do such trips.

You might need to recharge when it isn't lunchtime. You might need to recharge in places where there's nothing to do but sit in your car for a while. You might need to go out of your way to get to a charging place. You might be at the charger, but it is in use for long-ish periods of time. You might get to the charged and be ICEd out. You might need to pay more to stay in a hotel in a place you'd rather not want to stay because they have a level 2 charger. There's all sorts of reasons why long trips with EVs is kind of a pain, and being told by someone who has never even tried to do so is very peculiar.

No matter how you slice it, if someone plans to take longer trips in EVs, there's just a different set of calculations that have to be taken into account: the driver must pay more mind to the needs the EV, whereas an ICE driver can do whatever they want because refueling is so easy. This issue can be mitigated in many ways over time, but putting more supercharging stations on highways only addresses a little part of the issue.

But at the same time, people choosing Tesla over any other maker of EVs on the basis of a dedicated supercharging network isn't making a good choice.