View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I never said nor implied that I drive 300 miles over a weekend. The weekend trips that I'm talking about were all less than about 50 miles from my home.
Then color me puzzled. 100 mile round trip was difficult for you because you "couldn’t fully recharge at the hotel"?

Quote:
And what's with your weird habit of lecturing an EV owner about the advantages and disadvantages of an EV, when you don't have one? Especially your effort to explain to me the attributes of the car I drive every day, that you have apparently just read about? Are you the sort of guy who goes to parties and says, "Oh, you're a doctor? Well I'm a software engineer, but let me tell you about what being a physician is like..."
Seems to me more like you are the sort of person who says they're a dermatologist so they must be considered expert about neonatology. Your experience in an EV with 81 miles of range is completely immaterial to the question of driving an EV with three or four times the range.

Quote:
But you're not really following the point: trips in EVs that amount to something more than the round-trip range of the EV require planning that is something that the vast majority of people just aren't used to. You had asserted a while back that fast charging for longer trips is "inconsequential," as someone can charge up when they have lunch. Ideally, yes, but it isn't a simple as that. And it doesn't have to do with the absolute range of the car: an eGolf owner planning a 150 mile trip will more or less face the same planning issue as a Model 3 owner planning a 350 mile trip -- the main difference is simply how often they do such trips.

You might need to recharge when it isn't lunchtime. ...
Agreed that given some regions have low availability of public level 2 charger and some 300 mile driving weekends are not spending the night at home, that sometimes some planning is required. But the last bit illustrates why your experience in an 81 mile range EV is not transferable to a larger battery vehicle. You have no margin, no buffer. A larger battery EV can top off anytime. Down 50 miles, down 100 miles, down 200 miles, if lunch and at a place to charge then charge. Lunch place does not have a charger but dinner place does? Fine. Have to wait until at the hotel, or at breakfast? Also okay.

Yes, some planning. But little. And the point is that assuming somewhere along the route you have the level 2 charger where you'd be stopping anyway the time is not "onerous" because in general people do not sit with the vehicle when it is at a level 2. They are doing other things.