View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 PM

While I have not done this myself, I can think of a few things off the top of my head.

Do not give any information that would allow them to find you if they are released and/or escape. I would use a PO Box (not in your hometown, but a neighboring one) for mailing purposes. If possible, don't let the inmate know what church is sponsoring the relationship. You might want to even consider not giving your last name and/or using a pen-name.

Do not give any legal advice, as there would seem to be several ways in which that could go wrong.

Absolutely don't send money, outside of small amounts for their commissary. Frankly, I would be hesitant to do even that for fear of setting a precedent which could provide a basis for larger demands. A subscription to appropriate magazines might be a better gift if you want to do so. Check with the prison as to what is allowed.

Don't agree to contact people on the outside for the inmate. You don't know who you might be going to meet or what they are capable of.

Remember that the person you are communicating with is a criminal and is probably very good at manipulating others. Unlike you, the inmate has all the time in the world to think about how to do so. Be on guard against attempts to do so with you.

All that said, I applaud you for your interest in performing this service. Just don't get your hopes up that you will be the cause of someone turning his life around and walking the straight and narrow. It might happen, but the odds are against it.