View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
It's the end game of a blatently corrupt process, cancelling it would be an admission of guilt on FIFA.

However, the temperature as a problem seem to now be getting dismissed. Is playing in 86 degrees F normal? I suppose it does give advantages to certain countries with warmer climates.

The blockade might make a massive difference too. Qatar are also being seen as pretty much an enemy of the likes of the Saudi, which makes you a terrorist nowadays in this binary world.

Also the lack of alcohol might well cause a lot of problems. While the likes of russia had the possibility of arrest if you got out of hand, basic possession of it in Qatar never mind buying it, is illegal.

“It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. British nationals have been detained under this law, usually when they have come to the attention of the police on a related matter, such as disorderly or offensive behaviour. Alcohol is available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. Don’t carry alcohol around with you (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home). The legal drinking age in Qatar is 21, and establishments serving alcohol will ask for original photo ID upon entry.”-UK Government

I would think alcohol restrictions should be one of the last things to disqualify a country from hosting the World Cup. That said, there will be opportunities to imbibe and if you act like a drunken ass in even the most Westernized country, you risk arrest.

As for the temperatures, if they remain normal for the climate, they will be lower that many of the harsh temperatures that were part of the 90+ degree heat wave that broiled the World Cup in 2006 held in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk