View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 11:12 PM

It was very flat light on Wednesday, so I went cross-country skiing (well, sort of cross-country skiing) on old three-pin cross country touring skis (mid-1970s Atomic Intertop 2000 edgeless). I took a chairlift to the top of an escarpment and went into the bush to descend to the top of a snowshoe trail. The thin saplings between the pines made it a "George of the Jungle" adventure, grabbing very thin saplings and branches to lower myself down a few hundred feet, for it was too dense to turn much. The snowshoe trail descent was nice, which made up for the hour fighting my way to get down to it (about six times longer than climbing up the trail takes).

On Sunday it was horridly flat light again, so I tried out the same edgeless, double cambered, x-c touring skinny skis on a couple of groomed pistes (a blue and a black that are sweet for GS races). It was more fun than a barrel of monkeys rolling down a hill. Aside from the initiations (roll onto edge and weight the tip), the full christies were predominantly skidded turns rather than carved, only not forgiving the way more stable, heavier, edged skis are -- just one monkey after the next surprising you with monkeyshines. They were quite fast when pointing down the fall line, which made for a far more exciting tuck'n'schuss than doing the same on wider skis.

Last edited by Muffin; 01-20-2020 at 11:15 PM.