View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Why did the paladin interfere in the wedding? Did he have a thing for the bride? Did he have a grudge against the groom? Just wanted to prevent the alliance? What does he need to negotiate with the FiL over?

Also, not to get into an alignment argument, but "flay her and sell her into slavery" is a pretty evil response for a LN character, particularly over something that she wasn't responsible for - she didn't break the contract, someone else stuck a knife in the other party before the contract could be fulfilled. Unless she was in cahoots with the Paladin all along?

As for stating out the NPC (which is to say, answering the question you actually asked ) I try not to get too hung up on building NPCs strictly by character creation rules. It's not like the players at your table are going to check your math. Take the cavalier NPC you linked to and swap out the mount powers for something you find more appropriate.
A good RPG campaign is story-telling. So take inspiration from fiction.

When I think of a bad-ass merchant, I always think of Uncle Enzo from Snow Crash. He's a genuine Mafia Don, who also happens to openly run a very successful pizza chain. Who happens to be a combat veteran. And correspondingly skilled in armed and unarmed combat. He fights the heavy of the story to a standstill, with just a straight razor (and a borrowed glass-shattering sonic charge, to counter his opponent's tendency to use knapped-glass blade weaponry).

So an interesting backstory can easily justify your NPC merchant being a high-level skilled character.