View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 PM

Okay, I took the plunge and Googled That For Me.

From Wikipedia and a few other sources, it appears that "litter" is a much more general term for any wheelless vehicle for carrying one person, carried on poles by two or more other people. They have been in many different styles in many different cultures, over many centuries. The "sedan chair" as rsat3acr described it is just one style of litter (which is what I thought it was too).

It's difficult to do a google image search for "litter". (Guess what results it returns.) Googling for "sedan chair" gives a whole bunch of pictures of the upright seat style, with most of them being more-or-less enclosed. This apparently is was Saint-Mars was aiming for in transporting Dauger.

Googling for "sedan chair litter" gives a wider variety of styles, including some sitting, a few (not many) like a stretcher, and a bunch looking like an easy chair or recliner or little sofa, and many of them not very enclosed. Here is one example: Photo.

The Wikipedia article agrees that Ben Franklin used a sedan chair:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia article on: "litter (vehicle)"
In the Americas
The wealthy also used sedan chairs in the cities of colonial America. And an ailing 81-year-old Benjamin Franklin travelled to meetings of the United States Constitutional Convention in 1787 in a sedan chair.[20]
The citation is different from the one I cited earlier:
Quote:
20. Colbert, David (2009). "A Rising Sun". Benjamin Franklin. New York: Simon and Schuster. ISBN 9781416998891. Retrieved 2 December 2018. "Of the fifty-five delegates, Franklin is by far the oldest at eighty-one. His health is not good. On the day the convention opened he was too sick to come. Later he was carried from his home to the meetings in a sedan chair - like a carriage without wheels, held aloft by four men. The bumpy ride of a carriage would have been too uncomfortable."

Last edited by Senegoid; 01-30-2020 at 10:11 PM.