View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I personally don't really buy the notion that all time great players couldn't adjust to different playstyles. Maybe a very specific kind of role player could not adjust - a pure 3-point expert might have been out of luck prior to the 3-pointer - but the truly great players would adjust. Magic Johnson took very few three point shots (he played during the era it was a thing, but they didn't use it much) but I am one hundred percent sure that if he played today he'd be putting up 10 attempts a game and hitting lots of them. The very greatest players ever would have learned and adapted and excelled in any era.
I basically agree with this. The 1996-98 version of the Bulls in particular were a very versatile, very athletic group of interchangeable players. There's a reason the 1996 team won 72 games. The Warriors explosiveness on offense from 2015-19 was influenced a lot by Kerr's (a Jackson pupil) adapted use of the triangle offense. Jordan and Pippen, both of whom could run up and down the floor, would have fit right into the new era just fine. I do wonder how big men like Shaquille O'Neal would have factored, though, in this kind of wide-open game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The other neat thing about the Jordan Rules was that the Pistons would always try to force Michael to move to his left, his weaker side. That was smart and innovative; today pretty much every team applies this as a matter of course.
Dumars in particular was really, really good at attacking Jordan's strengths. He couldn't stop him, but he slowed him down. Jordan still made Jordanesque shots, but the percentage fell. When Jordan became better at distributing the ball and when he had other players who were comfortable stepping up and making plays, that's when the Bulls turned the corner.