View Single Post
Old 01-31-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I basically agree with this. The 1996-98 version of the Bulls in particular were a very versatile, very athletic group of interchangeable players. There's a reason the 1996 team won 72 games. The Warriors explosiveness on offense from 2015-19 was influenced a lot by Kerr's (a Jackson pupil) adapted use of the triangle offense. Jordan and Pippen, both of whom could run up and down the floor, would have fit right into the new era just fine. I do wonder how big men like Shaquille O'Neal would have factored, though, in this kind of wide-open game.
Young Shaq was so fast, so quick and so strong for a 7 footer that I think he would have been fine. And Prime Shaq was such a monster that I can't think of anyone in the league today who could even come close to slowing him down much less knocking him off his averages. He would have owned the boards and Jesus Christ himself would have been scared to go down the lane while Shaq patrolled the paint. Sure the free-throws would have been an issue but they were always an issue so no big loss there. It's important to remember that the NBA started to allow zone defense specifically to try and slow Shaq down...and it didn't really work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Dumars in particular was really, really good at attacking Jordan's strengths. He couldn't stop him, but he slowed him down. Jordan still made Jordanesque shots, but the percentage fell. When Jordan became better at distributing the ball and when he had other players who were comfortable stepping up and making plays, that's when the Bulls turned the corner.
Jordan has often said that Dumars was his greatest challenge and once he figured out how to get the best of Joe the rest of the league didn't stand a chance.