View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 05:59 AM

I was in Wales for a week and a half last year and saw the flag of Owain Glyndwr a couple of times, but didn’t know what it was. I thought it was a Welsh royal standard, although now I see that’s somewhat different.

I think Welsh nationalism and Welsh independence are two different things, and are viewed very differently. Welsh nationalism seems to be mainly cultural. Things I identify with Welsh national identity include the Welsh language, singing, rugby, sheep, mining, and a few food specialties. Other than occasional snide comments from Jeremy Clarkson and that type, I think all of these cultural identity aspects are viewed favourably. Independence is the political side and has two aspects: devolution and full independence. My general impression is that most English people are generally neutral or slightly in favour of devolution. Economically, Wales is behind most of the rest of Britain, and a one-size-fits-all approach from London doesn’t suit Wales. Some people complain that Welsh residents receive benefits that English residents don’t, and that that is unfair to the poorer English regions. However, those complaints are seldom in the news, and funding aside, no one seems bothered about the Welsh National Assembly. Full independence I mainly associate with the Plaid Cymru political party. They’ve got a few members in the UK Parliament, and several in the Welsh National Assembly, but they’re a minor group. I think most English people are aware of them, but don’t really pay them much attention. I’d guess they’re slightly more newsworthy in Scotland and Northern Ireland, but that’s just a guess.