View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wiggler View Post
<snip>

But to the larger issue of this thread, yeah, I've driven through lots of small towns recently which used to be a lot more self sufficient and now depend much more on bigger metro areas down the road apiece. Those might be less stressful places to live but the opportunities there are increasingly rare and the inconveniences growing. A lot of the decisions we make in 21st century life center around convenience.
"Convenience" is such a perjorative word, as if modern people are incredibly lazy and soft compared to their forebears. But what I see and experience is not laziness, but technological/social changes which sweep everyone along willy nilly.

The cost of health care, the shame of the United States, drives many economic decisions these days. The reason many people are abandoning small towns and rural areas is because they are being driven out by economics, not because they are too lazy to make a go of it. Megacorporations have destroyed small farming, small businesses, and small towns, and there is almost nothing in government policies which mitigates this process (unlike in western Europe).

Another economic reality that shapes much of the social landscape in the modern era is the emancipation of women. There's a real case to be made that the single most significant modern invention is birth control. When women are not virtual slaves to men, and have no choice but to, unremunerated, bear children, raise children, and also care for the sick and elderly, an enormous, unprecedented shift happens. Not everything in that shift is of benefit to the general society, something that every conservative knows. We are still, I think, in the throes of it.

Last edited by Ulfreida; 02-14-2020 at 07:58 AM.