View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
No, it was me.

I have to say that I'm very gratified to see all the people supporting the "no-blind-spot" method in this thread. As seen in several of the linked threads above, I have often encountered resistance to the method and rarely had many allies. Maybe my valiant efforts to fight ignorance over the last 14 years are finally paying off.
That's cool man! I thought it was myself because of the wording of the OP because it's almost verbatim for what I say to people and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on here before. "There is no such thing as a blind spot if you adjust your mirrors properly. Heck, maybe I just agreed with you in one of those threads and thought I said it. Hell, I don't know, I was an incorrigible drunk for the majority of my existence here. I don't remember shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
If you're used to the "wide" setting of the mirrors, you figure out how to align them pretty easily as well and can tell if they're misaligned or not. Look at all three mirrors from left to right. Do you see redundant information in them or not? If so, they're not set wide enough. If you don't see redundant information, do you see a gap, so they might be set too wide?

I use my mirrors a lot, so it's pretty clear when there's an alignment issue. I want it so when I see one headlight on a car to the left or the right of me in my rearview mirror, I only want to see the other headlight in the side mirror. That said, it's pretty obvious when the mirrors have been changed, as the only time it happens is when somebody else has been driving the car, and that's pretty easy to see as I see the side of the car in the mirror. It's not like the mirrors get randomly bumped and misaligned or anything.
This is also actually a really good point. While I agree with the general consensus that it is safer to adjust your mirrors wide so you don't see any of the side of the car thus eliminating your blind spots, if you're not used to it, then it likely isn't safer for you or your fellow travelers.