View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
There are over 13,000 gun homicides in the US each year and maybe twice that many non-fatal shootings. So, yeah, they are not all reported by CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, NY Times, WaPost, etc., because if they did there would be nothing on the news but shootings, and individually they are not of national interest. It has nothing to do with an agenda. When you have 66 shootings in one city in one weekend (Chicago), that tends to make national news.
I'd be very surprised if it were only 2x the number of non-fatal shootings. Most firearms shootings are inflicted with handguns, and the vast majority of people shot with a handgun live. Last I'd heard, it was 5 out of 6 live, it may be up to 6 out of 7. Handguns just aren't a very effective way of killing people, who don't want to die. I.e., their efficacy is higher when used in suicide.

(After a few seconds with CDC's WISQARS data tool. https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html)

For 2016, the CDC lists, for "Overall Firearm Gunshot Nonfatal Injuries and Rates per 100,000. 2016, United States, All Races, Both Sexes, All Ages. Disposition: All Cases:"

116,416 nonfatal injuries from a firearm. Not counting BB guns. (They have their own separate header in the database.) Out of a population of 323,127,513

Same database, but for firearms deaths for 2016, which includes accidents, suicides, crime, lawful self-defense, lawful homicide by a peace officer, etc... 38,658.

More than I would have thought, especially compared to firearms injuries. Very surprising, I would have thought the injuries would be more than 3x the deaths. I wonder how the stats look when suicide is removed?