Thread: Peak Small Town
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Does this count?

I've lived both in the heart of large cities and in tiny towns. Both have their upsides and downsides. The city was big, noisy, and not particularly friendly—and this was in Portland, one the friendlier cities on the west coast.

However, the grocery stores were well-stocked and I had access to some real culture: museums, live theater, music, and people from different cultures. It made for interesting living.

Small towns lack much of that. In the above-linked thread, the small town in question (Rudyard, Montana) has no... anything, really. They have a movie theater and a nice automotive museum, but no grocery store and no ATM anywhere in town. The only restaurant is a "Grandma's Kitchen" type of place. Everyone in town is Catholic or Lutheran, and non church goers are looked upon with a certain level of suspicion and slight derision.

But on the other hand, people are overwhelmingly friendly and willing to help each other out with the most mundane things: last second-to-last time I was there, in 2008, my cousin had asked me to stop by a local hardware store and pick up some large piece of equipment for him since I was going through town anyway. I went and paid, but couldn't fit it in my trunk. Another farmer, who happened to be in the store at the time, offered to take the piece of equipment back to my cousin's place because he was headed that way anyway. You don't find that kind of friendliness unquestioning helpfulness in bigger towns or cities.

If I won the lotto I'd likely buy someplace very remote, but within not-too-bad driving distance of a least a medium-sized town. I like the small town atmosphere, but being able to do a decent grocery shopping or see a play is pretty important to me.