Thread: Peak Small Town
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

My mother grew up in Port Washington, Wisconsin -- it's about 25 miles north of Milwaukee. It now has about 11,000 people, but when she was growing up, it was around 5,000.

15 years ago, my wife and I went on a long driving trip out west, for our 10th wedding anniversary. On a Sunday morning, we were in Yellowstone National Park, driving around and looking at various sights. We had parked (we were driving my car) in a parking lot, where ours was the only car there, and walked a few minutes to go look at some thermal features.

As we were walking back to the car, we saw that there was another vehicle now in the lot, and an older couple was walking away from it, and towards us. As we got closer, we waved to the couple.

"Is that your car?" the man asked.

"Yes, it is," I replied.

"Oh! We were wondering why someone would have Illinois license plates, but Green Bay Packers license plate frames."

I laughed, and my wife pointed at me. "His car, his frames. He's from Wisconsin originally."

"Oh? Where are you from? We're from Wisconsin, too!"

"I grew up in Green Bay, but I live in Chicago now," I replied. "Where are you from?"

"We're from West Bend."

"I know where West Bend is -- my mom is from Port Washington." (West Bend is a few miles west of Port Washington.)

The woman of the couple looked at me. "Oh? What was your mother's maiden name?"

"[Name]."

The woman smiled. "June?"

"No, Joan," I said. "June is my aunt."

"June and I went to high school together!"

So, 1500 miles away from home, I ran into a woman who went to high school with my aunt.