Thread: Peak Small Town
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfreida View Post
I recently moved to a small town (about 1800 people). It's in New England, which is a different kind of small town than many in America. For one thing, they have more practice at it. Some of my neighbors' ancestors settled here in the 1700's. No one thinks of them as special. New Englanders have more respect for education than anywhere I've ever lived. They don't expect you to go to church (though I do).

I have already accumulated many a small-town story. Including when I first got here and since I never saw anybody in the forest around my house I was in the habit of walking my (dog aggressive) dog off leash. So one day, we come around the bend and there's a lady with four dogs! All also off leash. My dog rushes out and pins one to the ground. Chaos ensues. Dog was not hurt (my guy never has actually bitten a dog in his life, just is scary). The next day I go down to the city office to pay taxes or something and the town clerk says as I introduce myself, "oh, I already know who you are and where you live. You're the lady whose dog put Sophie on the ground yesterday."

Today I went to the post office to get my mail (there is no mail delivery to my house) and told the postmaster sheepishly that I had forgotten the key to my mailbox. He just went and got my mail for me. He didn't need me to tell him what box it was, and I did not expect that he would.

We are a half hour from the Pioneer Valley, with its many colleges (UMass, Amherst, Hampshire, Smith, Holyoke) and its shopping and cultural events. I have no complaints about here at all, although January is quite bleakly cold, and last year we had snow the third week of April. If that's the price I have to pay, I'm happy to pay it.
Your town sounds like a little slice of heaven.