View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
IANASCJ but, in my opinion, no. I think it's acceptable to place the same sales tax on firearms and ammunition that you place on general goods. But I feel that any tax you place on them above the general rate would be a violation on the Second Amendment.
...n.

Guns & ammo already have additional taxes, has been that way for decades if not more.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxv...e-are-problems
The federal government already imposes about $750 million in excise taxes on the import and retail sale of guns and ammunition. Handguns are taxed at 10 percent, and other guns and ammunition are taxed at 11 percent

and here's what they think about the effectiveness of more taxes:
Would taxing ammunition reduce gun violence? It might dissuade a few people who are ambivalent about purchasing a gun. And since some of them might misuse the weapon, it could reduce gun violence slightly. But the tax would fall most heavily on high-volume users such as target shooters rather than those who purchase a gun and a small number of cartridges. Ammunition excise taxes would have no effect on existing gun owners who intend to commit suicide via firearm. According to the CDC about 60 percent of gun deaths in 2016 were suicides.

A gun and ammunition excise tax may sound attractive to those who want to limit gun ownership. And the idea of using taxes to correct externalities (including the medical and other societal costs of gun violence) is appealing to economists. But such taxes need to be effective. And, unfortunately, proposals to raise gun-and-ammo taxes may fail that test.