View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provincial Hoi Polloi View Post
I feel that some people could do to read the recent piece in the New Statesman*, "Why liberals now believe in conspiracies: How could the most rational ruling elite in history have fallen for the most dangerous toxin in politics?"

"...Detecting the fingerprints of conspirators in the disarray of their societies, they are possessed by the pathology they rage against. Unwilling to admit why progress has foundered, liberals have embraced the worst kind of magical thinking."

* for those not familiar, a respectable left-leaning British magazine
Cruel but defensible paragraph of that article:

"Back in the day, the USSR under Stalin organised a successful disinformation campaign to persuade people in the West of something that wasn't true. Let me tell you about it in excruciating detail. Right now, people don't seem to trust politicians to act in their interests. These things are connected Because Reasons. Also, I can put a random paragraph in there about how Putin organised a successful disinformation campaign to persuade people in the West of something that isn't true, therefore Liberal Elites Suck"

It may well be true that there is some cohesive group that you can define as a "Liberal Elite" (though nobody who writes newspapers ever seems to actually define it) and that in fact they have some policies that suck, but what is in that article is not actually a coherent argument