View Single Post
Old 08-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Does getting to the center of the galaxy "finish" the game? I was under the impression that it was a huge sandbox you just dick around in indefinitely. Like you could drive to the center of the USA In a couple days, but it's not the same thing as exploring it.
You can, but they've said for a long time that the "goal" they drive your towards is the center of the universe and something is big there. You can wander around for the rest of your life (literally) discovering new planets and lifeforms, but the game does have some secret waiting there and a GPS on your map constantly telling you which way to go to get there.

Quote:
Also, FWIW, I don't like the "floating in colored fog" look of outer space. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when I see games or movies that depict outer space as anything but mostly black star field. I think it's supposed to be gas clouds or nebulae or whatever, but AFAIK, gas clouds in space aren't like terrestrial rain clouds that obstruct your view. They are typically light years across and are only visible from great distances away. I don't think you would actually know that you were flying through a cloud of space dust just by looking out the window.
They've said that their art design for the game is the covers of '60s Sci-Fi novels. They've said that's a big part of why the planets, creatures, and even space looks the way it does. They're explicitly aiming for a lot of pretty, bold colors everywhere, whether it's in any way realistic or not. In fact, they said they're not considering realism at all when going for the art design (except really necessary things like how all the creatures look like plausible, if alien, lifeforms with symmetrical shapes and such).