View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
If this is true—and I have no reason to believe that you're wrong—then I wonder whether the NFL's reliance on college football might not hurt as much as it helps. Sure, the NFL gets a massive pool of talent to draw from, without paying a nickel. But it is also limited in a way that, say, AAA baseball is not.

I wonder if the NFL would benefit from a professional "minor league" that would field not only kids fresh out of college (or even high school), but that might also give a talented player some time to develop experience in a venue that's not as tough as the big time, but that might be bigger and faster and more akin to the pros than college football is.

I know this isn't going to happen, of course, but I wonder whether it might allow for the development of more experienced players for the league to choose from.
The AAF, NFL Europe, and the like are attempts to do that, but they generally fail for lack of monetary interest. College Football is so ingrained in the culture that I can't see a true developmental league catching on. In addition, the CBA for the NFL tends to limit the amount of time teams have to develop players.

I think that the difference between college and pro football systems also tends to exacerbate the lack of experience, especially at the QB position. So much of what works in college football, especially in the passing game, doesn't translate that well to the NFL. Even very, very good college QB's need time to adjust (and some never do). Luckily, Mahomes had a year (and Andy Reid) to help him adjust. Other rookie QB's aren't so lucky and have to learn on the fly or have coaches who aren't good at developing QBs.

Last edited by Hamlet; 09-06-2019 at 12:35 PM.