View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I probably will regret asking this, but here goes anyway. Is his dislike of Omar based at all on anything factual about the woman, or just on the innuendo?
Lance Turbo in post #417 posted links to two threads SlackerInc started about Omar. A lot of his dislike seems to be based on pretty elementary misunderstandings (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc
But I’m happy to use this awkward scenario to damage a politician I oppose for other reasons. (Kimstu acts like she has cannily ferreted out this motivation, when in fact I have been quite open about it.)
I said right there in my most recent post that you were being open about it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu
SlackerInc, you have been telling us all along how much you dislike Omar and how you are hoping for, and to the best of your ability working toward, her political failure. And you expect anybody to believe you when you pretend to be offering honest advice about what Omar should do to boost her credibility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc
She is one of these left wingers who savages the mainstream of the Democratic Party, including characterizing President Obama as some kind of war criminal with a “smiling face”
This misunderstanding was explained and rebutted early on in your fulminating "Ilhan Omar can fuck right off" thread. As I pointed out there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu
Here's the full quote [...]:
Quote:
As she saw it, the party ostensibly committed to progressive values had become complicit in perpetuating the status quo. Omar says the “hope and change” offered by Barack Obama was a mirage. Recalling the “caging of kids” at the U.S.-Mexico border and the “droning of countries around the world” on Obama’s watch, she argues that the Democratic president operated within the same fundamentally broken framework as his Republican successor.

“We can’t be only upset with Trump. … His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar says. “And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”
I don't pretend to be an authority on semantic analysis, but it seems pretty clear to me that the "pretty face" Omar is talking about there is that of her party's image in general, and that of the Republican Party as well. The "polished" people who have been lending a statesmanlike cachet to bad policy choices are not only Obama but the Bushes, Clinton and Reagan.

It is not outrageous or insulting to hold the opinion that the framework of US governance is in some ways fundamentally broken, and that having a charismatic centrist Democrat in the White House doesn't automatically fix the problem.
SlackerInc, it's more and more evident that your insistence on erroneously regarding (and misquoting) Omar's phrase "the pretty face and the smile" as a direct personal insult to Obama individually is just a lazy excuse to justify your dislike of her for other reasons.

What Omar actually said was a reasonable criticism of aggressive militarist policies pursued by the US government for decades under both Republicans and Democrats, most of whom were more rhetorically "polished" about them than Trump, but not necessarily less aggressive. Your attempting to frame her remarks as vilification of Obama personally is not persuading anybody but yourself.