View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM
SDSAB

My latest five:

The Black Hole
For some reason I decided I wanted to see this Disney sf film again - it had been awhile. So-so cast, laughable science, great score, and decent sfx for the time.

Jodorowsky's Dune
Documentary about the trippy, never-made Seventies movie adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune. Tentative casting including Salvador Dali as the Emperor, David Carradine as Duke Leto, Mick Jagger as Feyd-Rautha and Orson Welles as Baron Harkonnen. The slightly-mad director could never satisfy the Hollywood suits that he could control either costs or the running time of the movie (at one point he said it might be 10 hours long!), so the project imploded, but still had an impact on a number of later sf films.

Where Eagles Dare
Saw this fun, ultraviolent, wildly over-the-top WWII adventure for the first time. Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood play the British and American leaders of a commando squad trying to rescue a captured U.S. general from a wintry Nazi mountaintop castle. Lots of gunplay, chases, double-crosses and 'splosions.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Still the best Terminator movie, I think. Great cast, near-nonstop action, an important message, remarkable cinematography and sfx, and one of the cleverest, scariest movie villains ever.

Dunkirk
Liked but didn't love this WWII drama about the evacuation of British troops from the French beaches. Surprised by all the rapturous gushing it's getting from movie reviewers; not sure it would even make my own Top Ten War Movie list. There's a very implausible scene at the end; you'll know it when you see it.