View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I don't think it will matter.

Even if America becomes more and more diverse, that diversity will be limited to a handful of large cities and blue states. So those blue states and blue cities will become more left leaning, but huge chunks of america will still be lily white and just as republican as they've always been.*
Yeah, this. I'd be more worried about the Democratic Party in the near future.

10 years from now, the median state will look more like a current Red state than it does now. The gap between the popular vote and the electoral vote (and Senate representation) will continue to grow. The structure of the Constitution bolsters the primarily-rural party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Gauss
Not saying they should of course, but if the Dems embraced the 2nd Amendment or pledged to outlaw abortion
I think this demonstrates a misunderstanding of how this stuff works. The party can't make that change without the voters driving it. Otherwise they'd go vote for someone who was in favor of abortion and gun control. This is sort of arguably what happened with the GOP and immigration. The party saw the demographic writing on the wall and many members of it really tried to make inroads on multiculturalism and immigration, realizing that many Latinos shared lots of "conservative" ideology except the anti-brown-people part. But it didn't work. The voters weren't there, and what we got instead was borderline white nationalism.

There will always be a wedge issue, and one issue ceases to be a sufficient wedge, it's basically dropped and forgotten. The most recent of these is gay marriage. It was the front line of national debate for quite a while and when the right lost, they just stopped talking about it. But that happens when public opinion shifts, not when parties or individual politicians decide to concede the issue.