View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
No, its not just that I think they can have an innocuous explanation, its that I think they are innocuous (most of them). Like they are so commonplace that they would happen to any innocent person.
I disagree. How many innocent people lend their car and brand new phone to a casual acquaintance admittedly involved in a murder of someone that acquaintance barely knows but that you do know well? How many write, "I'm going to kill" on a letter from an ex who was subsequently murdered that accuses you of being possessive and substantiates a clear motive for murder? How many people's close friends and family tell cops who they know suspect you of murder that you talked about how you would get rid of evidence from a murder of an ex you committed, or that you are a masterful liar? Yes, the map could be innocuous (although who keeps a map in their trunk), but it's likely not given other circumstantial evidence. That doesn't ALL happen to innocent people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. jp View Post
I think the kid in Twelve Angry Men is certainly guilty because of the same type of argument you use here (that multiple lines of evidence add up), which interestingly people mostly do not agree with.
I again disagree. The vast majority of murder cases have NO physical evidence. The conviction rate is usually in the 90%+ range. Clearly, people feel no compunction about convicting someone based on circumstantial evidence and direct testimony as we have in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Yeah. It just seems odd that it was all in the public eye and no-one spotted the car. It may be just me but I would actively keep an eye out for a car mentioned in a missing persons report.
Do you know how many missing person reports there were in a city like Baltimore in the 90's? People don't look out for missing cars, and there was some possibility the car wasn't anywhere near Baltimore. This case was not in the public eye. Try to find articles or info about this case pre-Serial. There are maybe 5 articles in only Baltimore papers. This wasn't the OJ case. This was also pre-amber alert, so people didn't think to insinuate themselves in crime solving like some do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was driving around for a day or two with a plate number in my head that I knew the police were looking for.
Nice thing to do I guess, but that is not the norm even today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian Bigfoot View Post
I'm not concerned about Chris. If I remember correctly, he's recounting what Jay told him, and it's much later. He could be wrong about when Jay told him the story. Maybe it was after the police had already talked to Jay.
Jay told the cops he told Chris at the time. There is little reason to doubt Chris's memory.

Last edited by brickbacon; 11-22-2014 at 10:35 AM.