View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
By "losing our shit" I mean becoming irrational, out of control, destructive of those on the same side, and attacking each other, for example, accusing Mueller of being in a conspiracy to protect DJT because he didn't say the right words.

Expressing rage and disgust, yes--that is called for. Definitely. But not against those working and hoping for the same outcome, namely the removal of the Former President from office. Let's not devour each other in our rage.

I wonder if what is needed is mass demonstrations, a la the civil rights movement and anti-Vietnam war protests. I read a headline somewhere today (can't remember where) asking why the mainstream media aren't calling for the Former President's resignation. Is everyone still being too polite? Are we still expecting the other side to play fair, all evidence to the contrary?
The mainstream media I've been reading have pretty much walked right up that line. I've read numerous articles in the WaPo, NYT, and other mainstream outlets essentially saying the same thing they have for the past few years, which is that he's corrupt, he lies, he's unfit and all of that -- it's not fundamentally changing anything and it won't.

And as I've tried to explain before, the reason it won't matter what the MSM post is that it's the people, it is us, it is the guy sitting next to you in the bar, or living above you in apartment 4A. Or working in the cubicle next to you. Until they change, until they 'get it'...forget it.

I honestly believe the average American no longer qualifies for a democracy, which is not to say that I want something other than a democracy. I simply mean that the average American no longer really has democratic values, no longer appreciates and understands the value of electing someone who values institutions. About half this country believes that as long as they have a job and/or as long as their cultural supremacy is respected, that's good enough -- never mind the fact that at this rate, with trillion with a fucking capital T dollar deficits, we're racing toward a dark choice between social security & medicare, the military, or default.

I'll point out something else that I've pointed out before but needs pointing out again: more people in this country trust the military as an institution than they do the press and the very people they vote for. Their own instincts hold what is inherently the greatest threat to a democratic regime in higher regard than they do the mechanisms by which they can participate in their own self-government. This has been shown in poll after poll. I am not pointing that out to critique the military; I am pointing that out to illustrate how the average person who is voting is quite likely to vote to end their own self-rule. That is almost always how democracies die, and that is how ours will die.