View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
Or they could simply realize what the electorate that got Trump into office to begin with is like. :P

What I don’t get is why Congressional Republicans would WANT some kind of Trump dictatorship. Even if they’re in the “in group” now, surely they realize that they wouldn’t remain there for long, and that Trump would have no intention of rewarding or protecting such a group, especially when he doesn’t need them anymore. I can see them wanting for him to remain a duly elected President for as long as possible, but it seems to me they have little solid to gain and a lot to lose by keeping him in power beyond that. Same with the corporate donors who support them. Sure, there are probably a few dangerously naive politicians who think they’d be living the high life with President For Life Trump, but those with real authority? I’m a bit skeptical.

None of this is to say that Trump won’t try, of course. I’m just wondering what’s in it for the people who keep him in office because of the Supreme Court and their constituencies to help Trump make both of those irrelevant when they know he’s not going to give them jack for it.

By the way, there was another link that claimed that the Speaker of the House would become president if elections were postponed or canceled. The circumstance being talked about in the linked article doesn’t evoke the same thing, does it?
Those are all fair points, Leaper. With respect to your question, no, I don't see where it does.

What scares me so much is that Trump has succeeded with what I thought were his delusional goals far beyond what I believed the established institutions in this country would permit him to do. He has usurped powers I thought would never be allowed to be granted to him. For an administration to defy Congressional subpoenas, ignore summons for witnesses, to assert a bullshit privilege ("absolute immunity") that simply doesn't exist, to ignore the Hatch Act, hand wave away the Emoluments Clause, all to avoid compliance with norms/traditions many of which have been in effect since practically our country's founding... well, I now put nothing past him or those who have enabled him.

Congressional Republicans and corporate interests may not want him as President for Life, but I think they have fooled themselves into believing they can control him for another 4 years and beyond. We will not recognize this country if he has another 4 years. Hell, I barely recognize it now.

So yeah, a little worried.