View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
In a way, I think it's good that so-called 'moderate' Dems were defeated last night, because it's becoming clearer that there's no safe space in the middle. There was in 2012 and 2014, and maybe even in 2016, but not anymore. Republicans have already made it clear that their future is an America that's more racist, more sexist, and more hostile to anyone who's not making six figures. You can't fight Trumpism with weak coalitions. There are no more right-left coalitions. Those days are over. It's now about how to sell the independents on the value of what progressives can offer.
I think this is the exact wrong way to go. Democratic politicians have gone this route before, most recently in 1984 and 1988 with Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis. I don't think 2020 will be as bad as 1984 or 1988, but someone like say, Elizabeth Warren, would probably lose even worse than Clinton did, probably losing some of the weaker Democratic states like Nevada, New Hampshire, and Minnesota.* The Democrat's can't win the presidency or senate by running up the score in the northeast and on the west coast. They have to start appealing to moderates more strongly, and if that means having a Joe Manchin wing of the Democratic Party, I'm willing to live with that.

* Yes, I'm lumping in Minnesota with Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. It's the same type of state, and just so happens to still have a little more of a blue base likely due to some old school Democratic voters still loyal to party from back in the Mondale days.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 11-07-2018 at 09:14 AM.