View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
But what about Japan? Tokyo Daigaku is, as far as I know, considered a damn good school by any standards, especially in computer and engineering fields at both the undergrad and grad levels. The sheer amount of AI (and not stupid stuff, you've seen how good some of Japan's robots are) research alone coming out of there is staggering.

Now, Tokyo Daigaku is really, really hard to get into (at the Undergrad level at least), hard enough that there are entire manga and anime in Japan centered entirely around trying to pass the entrance exams. But even Kyoto and Osaka Daigaku all the way down through Tokyo Metro are probably on par with most American schools. I don't think you'd have much of a problem getting hired (even in the US) if you went to Okayama Daigaku vs University of Rhode Island (or whatever).
My WAG here would be that Chinese students would be uncomfortable going to a university in Japan (this is a vast understatement), and probably vice versa. Same goes for Korean students. I'm sure it happens, but I'd guess that they would be MUCH more comfortable going to university in the US or another Western country. There is a lot of bad blood in the region concerning the Japanese...and it goes both ways.