View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jragon View Post
But what about Japan? Tokyo Daigaku is, as far as I know, considered a damn good school by any standards, especially in computer and engineering fields at both the undergrad and grad levels. The sheer amount of AI (and not stupid stuff, you've seen how good some of Japan's robots are) research alone coming out of there is staggering.

Now, Tokyo Daigaku is really, really hard to get into (at the Undergrad level at least), hard enough that there are entire manga and anime in Japan centered entirely around trying to pass the entrance exams. But even Kyoto and Osaka Daigaku all the way down through Tokyo Metro are probably on par with most American schools. I don't think you'd have much of a problem getting hired (even in the US) if you went to Okayama Daigaku vs University of Rhode Island (or whatever).
A lot of it is pure hype based on how hard it is to get in, especially when it comes to undergraduates. Once they're in it's virtually impossible to fail out (my friends who taught there and elsewhere were told not to fail students). In a way college is a reward for all the hard work they did up til that point and a break before they have to go suffer as a salaryman/OL for 40 years.

I went to graduate school at one of the above school (not Okayama or Tokyo Metro ). My Japanese classmates were all quite bright outside of class but in classes they were stone-faced. No one ever asked questions or challenged anything the professor said, even when the professor bent over backwards to encourage it (the professors were really quite good).