View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Albion's Seed and American Nations

In 1989, David Hackett Fischer published the classic Albion's seed, that very impressively and most academically soundly established that four separate waves of immigration from the British Isles created four distinct cultural "nations" within this country- each coming over at a different period in ENglish history, under different political and religious contexts, and created cultures that live on to this very day, despite generations of immigration and change. Puritan New England; (Yankeedom), the Cavaliers of the Chesapeake Bay region (little issue there between royalists and Cromwell), Delaware Valley Quakers, and then them damn borderlands Scott-Irish-English who had known nothing but continuous warfare for hundreds of years, who brought a clan based warrior culture and took it (and my progenitors) up into the mountains and became hillbillies with an attitude.
See: Wikipedia:
The four migrations are discussed in the four main chapters of the book:

East Anglia and the Netherlands to Massachusetts
The Exodus of the English Puritans (Pilgrims and Puritans influenced the Northeastern United States' corporate and educational culture)[4]
The South of England to Virginia
The Cavaliers and Indentured Servants (Gentry influenced the Southern United States' plantation culture)[5]
North Midlands to the Delaware Valley
The Friends' Migration (Quakers influenced the Middle Atlantic and Midwestern United States' industrial culture)[6]
Borderlands to the Backcountry
The Flight from North Britain (Scotch-Irish and border English influenced the Western United States' ranch culture and the Southern United States' common agrarian culture)

American Nations is an update, Colin Woodward, 2012, I think- he identifies 11 separate cultural groups in the current national mindset. This is a real effect.
I stumbled across Albion's seed, found it so explanatory of my backwoods upbringing (Think Hillbilly Elegy, but academic style) that I moved on to American Nations, reading as we speak.

I have read a whole lot of liberal/progressive despisement of those unsavory types that voted from the orange banana slug. Let me explain something to you about warrior culture. Not losing is all- against common sense, even losing life itself. I mean, think William Wallace. Bind that mindset with the deep south and some of these other cultures that do NOT reflect the community mindset of Yankeedom (New England and Upper California, and you begin to see how such a travesty could come to be. I was going to finish the book to bring it up, but I was beat to the (well, the map) punch. I have learned more about the politics of the United States in these two texts than almost everything else I have ever studied, combined. Example: The Dutch in what was to become new york sold the first African slaves. Slavery in the deep south was at first much milder in form that what it became, as culture and practices from Barbados and the rest of the British West Indies came to the US. Oh, and the oldest "nation" is El Norte- the Spanish of New Mexico, Arizona, parts of Baha- they see themselves as very distinct and different than Mexicans. These are 4-500 page, heavily annotated texts- I can't possibly do them justice.
But if you find yourself adrift in trying to grasp the political reality of the current blue state red state divide, I will guarantee you these texts will make some of it, if not make sense, at least show you the dividing lines in a way more superficial analysis cannot. Worth the time if you have it and you seriously want to understand.