View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 10:08 AM

I know there have been a million articles about Serial, but I thought this one was very interesting and relevant: What Serial Gets Wrong

Quote:
You can't tell us Adnan's story without talking about what it means to be a defendant in a courtroom in 1999, as America was putting the finishing touches on its most incarceratory decade yet. Over 350 new state prisons built in one single decade, each quickly filled to capacity. This is when incarceration was accelerating disconcertingly fast but before any of us were talking about it.

And Baltimore at that time. Jesus. Grim and poor and punitive. More than half of young black men in the city were in the criminal justice system—if they weren't incarcerated they were on probation or parole.
Quote:
Think about this. In early 1999, the prosecutor's office was a public relations nightmare. They had no time, no money, but more charging power than ever. Plus they must have had tactics—after all, they were putting a shocking amount of people away while vastly under-resourced.

And then two months after a girl disappeared, someone is pointing to the boyfriend. That's open and shut, quick and clean. I don't think it's crazy to consider the fact that the police were overlooking Jay's six remixes to his own story to get a win and get it off their desk.
This reinforces what I've thought before, that Adnan very well might be guilty of killing Hae Min, but I don't know if he should have been convincted based on the evidence they had. It might be interesting to dig into more of the institutional stuff, but it's maybe not as dramatic.