View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
If you can afford some time, find someone in your area who is worthy of your vote, and spend a few hours on GOTV to help her campaign. Or sign up to be a poll watcher, or election judge.

Voting is key, of course, but it's not all you can do.

My own plans for this autumn are 1) volunteer for Mike Quigley's campaign, 2) volunteer for Pritzker's campaign, and 3) help oust Roskam (not my district, but he used to represent me and he's an asshole).

Oh, and if money's not too tight, throw a few bucks where you think it would do the most good.
Voting is the least you can do, but it is the least you must do.

I do a bit of local political work as well. I don't have time to volunteer, but I do close for election day, so all my employees can vote and also assist in GOTV efforts. I don't do an official one, but I do make sure that all of my friends make it to the polls. Mostly I assist people with their sample ballots, and explain the issues and candidates to them, so that they can make an informed choice as to how to vote their best interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
But as others in this thread have pointed out, is it “vigilance” if the message is “give up, you idiots, there’s no hope!”? You may not see it, but I do, and I think I’ve got more folks who agree, FWIW.
We all have moments of despair. I see roads that we can take that lead to great places, but I do see roads that go to a fair amount of doom and gloom, and I don't know that we are going to choose the right one. When I look at what we are up against, I do understand the feeling that it's not going to work out, and that we're all just gonna be fucked. I try to be optimistic, but to not realize that the stakes here are very high, and that losing here will lead to some very unpleasant consequences for pretty much all involved, a bit of verbalization of that doom and gloom is not really all that inappropriate.

Like I said, I really hope that he is wrong, and that it is all rainbows and sunshine on the other end of this tunnel. Make him wrong, not by mocking or insulting him, but by helping to change the world to go on a different path, one away from the one that he sees.