View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I just want to point out that a non-trivial number of white supremacists/neo-Nazis/Holocaust deniers do not, in fact, consider Jews to be "white people" even if a large number of them have pale skin. I'm not sure how they arrive at that notion.
It's because whiteness is a constructed identity that essentially defines the "in-group" and "absence of race" and is only broadly correlates with skin color. Irish and Italian people were not considered "white" in America for a time, for instance, despite a lot of Irish people being pale as snow. Jews have sort of waxed and waned in "whiteness" over the years depending on the political climate. I'd say in the current climate Jews have become "less white" in that they're being separated out as more of a distinct ethnic group due to said White Supremacists having more of a platform, but maybe... 10 years ago were probably more on the "white" spectrum where most American Jewish people were treated more as a distinct white cultural group like the Dutch or French.

Last edited by Jragon; 11-21-2019 at 02:18 PM.