View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Anyways, individuals with similar pedigrees and demonstrated track records are the ones who say that AI is possible and nanotechnology is possible and so on. They occupy equivalent academic positions, if not higher, than nuclear physicists do, and while many of the engineering problems in the way have yet to be solved, they are generally thought to be solvable.
Yeah, but you're not one of them. You're on the opposite end of the spectrum, a kind of Dunning-Kruger specimen -- an arrogant immature blowhard with limited knowledge about technology, biology, or anything else in the world, who is in serious need of a major dose of humility. You might want to revisit the first page of this thread to remind yourself of that fact, posts #33 and #37 being perhaps especially pertinent, or this one from the Omnibus thread in which we find that you're also a racist douchebag with redneck views on social issues -- although I'm willing to be kind and just chalk that up to immaturity.

But on technology issues, you are misunderstanding the point again, as usual. No one has argued that these advanced technologies aren't possible. It's your tediously predictable, pretentious, and naive take on them that is so consistently entertaining. Your solution to climate change by geoengineering changes to the atmosphere is a great example of this because it rather beautifully exemplifies three recurring stupidities in your various pontifications: (1) the misapplication of technology (2) in a way that won't work and (3) would have worse side effects than the problem it's trying to solve. Your bloviations don't always combine all three elements, but you really hit the trifecta with this one!

And I have to say I always enjoy the threads where you declare "I know what I'm talking about" (an actual quote) when you clearly don't, and engage in arguments with professionals in their fields who clearly do. It's the same phenomenon as what might be called "laughably simplistic extrapolation" that pervades most of your bloviations: you have a vague understanding of how a neuron works, therefore, everything about how the mind works is just a matter of extrapolating some further details (entire fields of study like neuroscience and cognitive science can be dismissed as useless and unnecessary -- in fact I think you once explained to us that cognitive science was really just philosophy!); likewise, general artificial intelligence of any level is just a SMOP -- a Small Matter Of Programming! How simple the world is when one is a raving genius with a gigantic throbbing brain!