View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erysichthon View Post
A couple of additional points:

The "FREE Two-Day Shipping with a trial of Amazon Prime" option is not pre-selected as the default—you actually have to click it. The "Prime" text is in the same font size as the "FREE Two-Day Shipping" part, so it's not as if they're using fine print to fool people.
That's true. What IS pre-selected is the most expensive shipping option, which is usually for 2-day shipping that costs more than the item. So you are looking for something more reasonable to click, and you see "2-day free shipping" and stop reading there. Don't tell me that the most expensive shipping option is the default because it benefits me, because I don't believe it. Call my cynical.

Quote:
Also, when you sign up for the Prime free trial, you get an email welcoming you to the awesomeness that is Amazon Prime. The subject line on that message is "[Name], Welcome to Your Amazon Prime Free Trial." When log you into Amazon after that, you see a different home page with verbiage reminding you that YES, you are a Prime member and get all sorts of wonderful benefits.
As someone noted, maybe in another thread (I haven't tried this myself, having fortunately never accidentally or on purpose chosen to try Prime) you can't actually cancel Prime online until something like a day or two before you start getting billed for it. Again, not done for my benefit. (If anyone has contrary experience, I will be happy to hear about it; I am not going to try it for myself.)

Quote:
As Joey P noted, it's still just a free trial. You won't get that $12.99 charge on your credit card bill unless you somehow overlook all of the obvious signs of Prime membership for 30 days. However, you can't get another free Prime trial if you've had one fairly recently. The OP says this has happened "a few times," so I'm guessing he's out of free trials and is getting billed immediately.
And probably not clearly notified about that either.

I continue to use Amazon for things I can't find anywhere else, but I remain careful and diligent not to accidentally sign up for Prime as a test or otherwise.