View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
This bothered me a bit as well, at first. But I thought of an explanation/fanwank for it: Tony's snap did not kill the people who were "dusted", but rather, that "dusting" was them being returned to their own time with no memories of what happens in the future. Even though the effect looked the same, it was in actuality different. After all, Tony Stark is not a killer like Thanos, and he is smart enough to understand not to cause time paradoxes.
No, they're definitely dead. There's no way the film makers would use the exact same disintegration effect if we're meant to understand that Tony's just putting them back in the past. That would just be spectacularly inept film making.

Also, again, time paradoxes are specifically described as impossible in this film's time travel model. You go back in time and try to change things, you don't alter the time you came from, you just create an alternative timeline. That's the entire reason the Avenger's plan was, "Go back in time and get the stones, use them to undo the Snap," and not, "Go back in time and strangle Thanos as a baby so the Snap never happens." The latter wouldn't change anything in their universe.

Also, as noted, Tony Stark is absolutely willing to kill. Practically the first thing he does when he builds his first Iron Man suit is hose down a bunch of terrorists with napalm.

Quote:
I don't understand why so many people think Gamora is back. I thought that the last scene with the Guardians, which has Quill looking at a screen that is searching for Gamora and not finding her, was a clear indication that she was dusted with everyone else Thanos brought from 2014 (whatever the dusting meant - if my explanation is correct, than that works out well).
Gamora isn't dusted, she just ran off after the battle was over, because she was picked up out of the time line before she met Quill or any of the other Guardians, and so has no emotional connection to any of them (except Nebula, and the relationship between the two of them is even more weird than usual right now). They just went to a lot of trouble to bring back one of the core cast members from one of their biggest sub-franchises. If they were just going to kill her again, they'd at least have put some emotional weight behind it, not just have it be something that flashes on Quill's monitor for two seconds.

Pretty sure a major part of GotG 3 is finding Gamora and convincing her to rejoin the crew.