View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
I know I love being a contrarian, but in this case I do honestly think the documentarians had a narrative to push about
SPOILER:
"eeeevil doctors", and the test results being kept secret some sort of gigantic conspiracy... when in fact, as I understand, separating siblings back then was pretty standard, nobody would have batted an eye about it, and the big reveal would be that the whole experiment was pretty irrelevant and uninteresting when all was said and done. I mean, middle class-ish Jewish kids growing up to be sort of similar? How surprising!

And the whole story about them being so utterly similar only to pull the rug at the end and show that they weren't that similar at all was very artificial.

Excellent documentary, don't get me wrong. But it's also telling a story, and to make that story more compelling, they pick and choose what to show and when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
Nah. I think the documentarians wanted a twist to make things interesting, so they leaned heavily on their similarities at first, to then drop the bomb and show their deteriorating relationship.

Also wanted a clear villain, or in this case a set of villains, so they went and exaggerated how relevant the research was.
I agree with these comments. Of course the documentarians did their job well in the sense that one comes away feeling compassion for the brothers, and for any other siblings involved.

But as Go_Arachnid_Laser points out, separate adoptions were not unusual at the time. The writers of the documentary appeared to be doing their best to imply that what happened was basically no different from what Josef Mengele or Aribert Heim did during the Nazi period----and that's really kind of ridiculous (and offensive, frankly).

They were able to interview only that one researcher, and got very heavy-handed with the symbolism---more than once they filmed her walking in a deep cut in the building complex, as if to show her, what, descending into hell? It was rather obvious. And stupid, I thought.

There was a real anti-science vibe to the whole documentary that I didn't find to be legitimate (much less admirable).