View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 PM

I ended my Army career in a Training Support Battalion that, among other things, specialized in teaching combatives (aka hand to hand combat.) Along with the predeployment training required for troops we were supporting our combatives instructors ran numerous certification training cycles. Part of it was ensuring we maintained a broad pool of certified instructors. Another big part was the experience was good preparation for our actual missions; training people on combatives was the best way to maintain skill at training people on combatives.

Gender mostly didn't matter. I saw a lot of hand to hand training events just in the scope of my duties to check on training. We also ran a lot of combatives certification cycles to both keep our trainers fresh and keep a braod base of available instructors. At times individuals let gender affect their behavior and it showed.

My first thought on reading the OP was one case where someone let it matter. One of our female NCOs going through the training was rolling with another student in the end of course tournament. The uniform for that event was the ACU uniform pants and t-shirt without the blouse. The female NCO in question was also on the large breasted side. At one point her struggling opponent got a good handful of t-shirt and breast...and suddenly pulled his hand back. The lead instructor moved in and was saying things like "She's a Sergeant not a girl" and "You're going to let her kick your ass." He wasn't able to work all the way through his personal issues before submitting. She did kick his ass. Lesson delivered to the rest of the class. Her next opponent didn't make the same mistake and beat her.

I don't really recall any issues in the more tactical training events. (Like room clearing with weapons but the scenario doesn't rate deadly force.) By the time you dress everyone in full tactical uniform and the opponent is in a padded suit to protect them from strikes there's not a lot of visible cues about sex or gender. I'd expect some of the same effect in the NFL. All the protective padding will hide some of the cues that might enable subconscious discrimination. For the rest, I'd expect they'd learn pretty quickly that "She's a running back not a girl." There are real incentives, including financial, to overcome the cultural sexism they may have been raised with. Over time, I'd expect the personnnel system to mostly weed out those that can't "hit a girl."