View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable View Post
Sure it does. The more often something happens the more likely it will be caught on film.
See now, this type of thinking is the product of a limited intellect. There's a famous America's Funniest Videos video clip of a bike race in which a hat blows off the head of one rider and lands perfectly on the head of a rider behind him. Does the fact that this was on film mean that this event happens frequently?

The increase in filming things is the product of video recording technology becoming simpler, cheaper and more generally available. The more that things in general are filmed, the more that rare events will be filmed. It does not mean anything about the frequency of those events. Imagine for instance that people posted videos in which nothing happened. How much effort would it take you to locate the videos you are showing us?

Quote:
There are plenty of statistics indicating that guns are used to thwart crime with a relative high frequency,
As Fear Itself points out, you cannot use the term "relative" in a vacuum. And in fact, people have studied the use of privately owned firearms for thwarting crimes relative to the use of these firearms for shooting family members or shooting oneself, showing that the rate of the former is dwarfed by the rate of the latter.
Quote:
but it seems gun-grabbers just refuse to believe any of it. So I figure a video of it happening in real life is good for you would be gun-grabbers to see.
What happens is that you display ignorance about statistics, handwave away stats that you don't like, and find that people are subsequently not convinced by you. Posting a video of such an event happening would be useful for refuting the assertion that successful defensive gun uses never happen. I don't think anyone is making that claim.

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it, but if the gun-grabbers have their way, I think they will ban handguns. Some have already admitted it. They are just going for the low hanging fruit now, and once they get it they will say "see it's legal to ban some guns, so it must be legal to ban some more." I've already seen that argument used.
This is because you do not approach the issue logically and intelligently, but from the standpoint of pants-filling paranoid hysteria.