View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 12:18 AM

I agree on Ocean's Eleven.

I also prefer William Friedkin's Sorcerer (1977) to the French original Le Salaire de la peur (1953). The story is about four men who are down on their luck (really, really down on their luck) and living in a small, Central America village. 200 miles away an oil well has caught on fire, and the only way to put it out is with dynamite. Unfortunately, the dynamite has been improperly stored and the nitroglycerin has seeped out and become very unstable. The four men are hired to drive the explosives in two trucks through the jungle to the burning well. They will be well paid, if they survive.

The difference between the two films is a good study in when, and where, they were made. The original is rather existential. I don't remember any backstory to explain how the men came to such desperate circumstances. The suspense sequences are shown more on the faces of the drivers than on what's happening with the trucks and cargo. And when the end comes, it's just a cruel trick of fate.

Action/suspense movies had changed a lot by the '70s. We see how the characters got to the point where a suicide mission was an attractive alternative. We see the trucks on crumbling mountain roads and rope bridges. And the end isn't a surprise. Oh, and there's a kickass soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.