View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelA View Post
Ok. So what possible laws of physics could even exist that could allow our cells to work but prevent nanobots from working. Could allow nukes to detonate and rocket engines to work but prevent us from redirecting asteroids. Could allow a collection of machines running in saltwater reading an actually fairly short, for it's complexity, program encoded in base-4 to generate a sentient mind, but not let us copy that mind.

Do you see how implausible your claims are? I am not making a specific timeline claim, other than "probably under 300 years". I don't know when this tech will work out. We thought there might be flying cars in the 1990s. There weren't, but the idea hasn't been totally abandoned and there's actually a real possibility of some sort of automated aerial taxi service with all the advances we have today.

You're making a mental error in the opposite direction of what you claim I am.
Tell you what, you come up with, from first principles and the knowledge that they would have had in the 30's and early 40's that xenon would be produced by a nuclear reaction of U-235, would act as a neutron poison, and would have a half life of a few hours. Then show, with the same knowledge, that there would not be a build up of other poisons that have much longer half lives that would interfere with a nuclear reaction to the extent of making a reactor essentially impossible to run.

If I had said to someone of your certainty that there may be problems in building a nuclear reactor, would you ask me what laws of physics could exist that could interfere with getting a sustained chain reaction?

It's not the laws of physics, it is how they end up working together to make more complicated things that serve our needs that is the difficulty.

Now, as far as nano-bots, I see any future in that as being modified cells, not tiny robots. Cellular machinery doesn't work like macroscopic machinery works at all, it's not servos and actuators, it is hydrophobic and hydrophilic surfaces interacting (far more complicated than that, but that's a start). That you feel that you can use these properties to make little robots that will do your bidding is not a straightforward proposition. It may be possible, but there is no real roadmap to that, nor any real research that indicates that it is certainly possible, it's more of a maybe.