View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I have a feeling California's "anti-deep-pockets" law has something to do with this. In California, a jury can distribute responsibility - and the resulting damages owed - in pretty much any way it wants among the defendants. They can throw a wide net over all of them at first, and then work out the details later.
I'm curious about this because I wonder how much Juicy J really profited off this. If he got writing credit for his verse I guess he got royalties for that (and should he not, for words that he wrote and performed himself?), but a lot of times guest rappers (and ghost "producers") and performers/musicians get a fee and very little if anything of the back end.

I seem to recall the "Blurred Lines" case assigning damages that seemed way out of line with the actual profits of performers in the digital age of streaming and Youtube comprising the bulk of "sales."

So, I'm just wondering how much the guy 6th in line is going to have to pay for agreeing to be a guest on a single that sold a bunch of 99 cent downloads and comprised 1/13th or 1/16th of an album that sold about 4 million units worldwide.