Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Well, you are right! Hard to keep up with your ignorant posts.
I don't make ignorant posts. I simply laugh at the people who make them about me. Such as you.
  #102  
Old 05-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Only 12.3% of the US population is black and yet under the Obama administration, 100% of US presidents were black. How's that for racism.
Was your post supposed to have any kind of meaning or intelligent thought behind it? Because if that were the case, it failed miserably.
  #103  
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I don't make ignorant posts.
Tell us again how Hillary is a "felon" despite all evidence to the contrary. Or how the White House is not currently occupied by a flat-out, open racist despite, well, this.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-11-2018 at 08:32 PM.
  #104  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post

Little gems like this are what keep me coming back here.
I got a good laugh out of that, thanks!
Why should we believe you? YOU'RE HITLER!
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #105  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 28,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I don't make ignorant posts. I simply laugh at the people who make them about me. Such as you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Tell us again how Hillary is a "felon" despite all evidence to the contrary. Or how the White House is not currently occupied by a flat-out, open racist despite, well, this.


Too late Clothy, and that "too late" is because I was the one laughing first at you Clothy.
  #106  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:35 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I don't make ignorant posts. I simply laugh at the people who make them about me. Such as you.
A person does not have to be ignorant to support a narcissistic, racist, misogynous megalomaniac.

But it might help.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #107  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is online now
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 22,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
Of course, someone - such as yourself - who has freely admitted to using the word "wetback" wouldn't consider Trump a racist. He's just a regular guy, like you.

You know, a racist.
I just checked out CH's "defense" of a particular racist term. Rather weak. All wet, if you will. Look, there is never any justification for using that racist term. And, yes, it's quite racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
I might be wrong, but I think there's an additional complication, in that an unmarried woman in her position would have been able to pass on citizenship. Was she married in 1961? Maybe. The validity of her marriage to Barack Obama Sr. was never actually examined in court, but it may have been invalid as he still had a wife back in Kenya.
IIRC, the bit about married vs. unmarried applies to a male passing US citizenship to a child born outside the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Only 12.3% of the US population is black and yet under the Obama administration, 100% of US presidents were black. How's that for racism.
Well, half right. During that time, 100% of US presidents were half black and half white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
I don't make ignorant posts. I simply laugh at the people who make them about me. Such as you.
And your accusing me of being a bigot wasn't ignorant? Yeah, right.
  #108  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:38 AM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 9,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
One would hope this would be a self-correcting problem - that is, that racist-boy would get voted down by a landslide and perhaps realize that being racist-boy isn't cool.
Racism's pretty cool with adults these days, so I don't know why we'd expect it not to be cool with kids, too.
  #109  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:02 AM
andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well, half right. During that time, 100% of US presidents were half black and half white...
Only if you choose to ignore or elide centuries of history. Otherwise, he's Black.
.
  #110  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Tell us again how Hillary is a "felon" despite all evidence to the contrary.
The evidence shows her clearly to be a felon. It's been ignored and she got a pass. I know all you libs think the sun shines out of her butt, and everything is hunky-dory because she's not behind bars where she belongs, but those of us who live in the real world think the whole cover-up is pathetic.
Quote:
Or how the White House is not currently occupied by a flat-out, open racist despite, well, this.
Y'all whine about Trump's racism constantly. Got any proof of it? Other than quoting another poster who said (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Or reportedly needs all non-white employees hidden from him whenever his visits his properties.
Is that really the best you can do?

Here, let me give you something that fits right in with that line of thinking: the collusion probe actually turned up something the other day. It seems that about three years ago, Trump put Russian dressing on his salad.
  #111  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I just checked out CH's "defense" of a particular racist term ("wetback". Rather weak. All wet, if you will. Look, there is never any justification for using that racist term. And, yes, it's quite racist.
Really? What's racist about it? I would like to hear your attempt to explain that.
  #112  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
The evidence shows her clearly to be a felon. It's been ignored and she got a pass.
This is false. I've explained this multiple times, but I'm a veteran and I've worked closely with classified materials for almost 20 years. The kinds of mistakes she made (mishandling classified information) are, unfortunately, extremely common, and they're never prosecuted except in cases in which they were sold for profit or knowingly given to foreign agents. Your analysis is just factually false.

It's not a big deal to be wrong sometimes. Mature and honorable men can admit this to themselves and learn from it.
  #113  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 AM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Really? What's racist about it? I would like to hear your attempt to explain that.
Because, like "nigger", the term is very frequently used in a racially disparaging manner, in this case against Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Hispanics in general. Your intentions don't change this any more than someone calling someone a nigger who didn't mean it in a racist way.
  #114  
Old 05-12-2018, 09:46 AM
jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
This is false. I've explained this multiple times, but I'm a veteran and I've worked closely with classified materials for almost 20 years. The kinds of mistakes she made (mishandling classified information) are, unfortunately, extremely common, and they're never prosecuted except in cases in which they were sold for profit or knowingly given to foreign agents. Your analysis is just factually false.

It's not a big deal to be wrong sometimes. Mature and honorable men can admit this to themselves and learn from it.
(bolding mine)

Clothahump, on the other hand...

See, he demonstrates perfectly the mindset of the aging American. In his mind, everyone has to be on a team. You have to pick a side, and you have to ardently believe everything that side says.

So, that means he believes utterly fucking stupid shit such as "I don't like Donald Trump" means "I think the sun shines out of Hillary's butt." He's utterly incapable of understanding that someone could dislike both Trump and Hillary.

I guess it's easier for people like him who have decided not to bother with that whole "thinking" thing. Just pick a side and be a parrot.

Last edited by jz78817; 05-12-2018 at 09:48 AM.
  #115  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,281
Just stop feeding the troll.
  #116  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 AM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
See, he demonstrates perfectly the mindset of the aging American. In his mind, everyone has to be on a team. You have to pick a side, and you have to ardently believe everything that side says.
Umm... I know plenty of older 50-80 year old Americans that despise Trump. And younger ones as well. I'm 57. Don't paint with such a broad brush. Thanks.

FWIW, I'm not particularly fond of Hillary Clinton. I thought that John Kasich may have been a good choice for President.

Instead, the right wing elected a moron. They own this.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #117  
Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 AM
DrFidelius's Avatar
DrFidelius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 12,447
I dislike Hillary as well but for sane reasons. She epitomizes the Washington insider. Nothing would ever change on her watch unless she had 17 polls telling her to change it. I don't believe she has ever held an opinions which wasn't approved by a focus group and two law firms.

She was the second worst candidate in 2016.
__________________
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
  #118  
Old 05-12-2018, 12:16 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,000
By a longshot.
(including only rep and dem, that is)

Last edited by bobot; 05-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
  #119  
Old 05-12-2018, 01:14 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
...She was the second worst candidate in 2016.
Yep. But instead of choosing a flat tire, the republican tribe chose a burning car wreck that takes out everyone else on the highway. Just 'cause.

They could have put someone like John Kasich or even Jeb up. But no, they want to burn the whole thing down. And they are going with it.

Electing Trump is using a hand grenade to clear up a clogged toilet. And what is very disappointing, to me, is how this has embolden the racists in this country. I had thought they were a dying breed.

Perhaps this may be good in the long run. Sometimes you must shine a light in the corner to find pests.

Trump supporters show us just exactly what they are.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #120  
Old 05-12-2018, 01:44 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Because, like "nigger", the term is very frequently used in a racially disparaging manner, in this case against Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Hispanics in general. Your intentions don't change this any more than someone calling someone a nigger who didn't mean it in a racist way.
Are these folks racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z42Y3IsSr0
  #121  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 17,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Don't be obtuse, twatwaffle.
__________________
--- ---
I'm not sure how to respond to this, but that's never stopped me before.
  #122  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:14 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
While I'm not into fishing. They seem like nice guys.

Perhaps you are that stupid.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #123  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:20 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,537
I feel obliged to offer the opinion that the whole "nationalism versus globalism" is a false dichotomy because I expect our leaders to be smart enough to formulate policies that benefit American and the rest of the world.
  #124  
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Huh? What does this have to do with what I said? If you disagree with something, feel free to tell me what I said that you think is wrong.
  #125  
Old 05-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,295
“Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day. … I think that the guy is lazy. And it’s probably not his fault, because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.” - Donald J. Trump, quoted by John O’Donnell

Donny's apple didn't fall far from daddy Fred's tree. Don actively fought against the Civil Rights Movement. In '73, the Justice Department sued Don & Fred for violating the 1968 Fair Housing Act.

Mexican immigrants are criminal, drug dealing, rapists. But I'm sure there are some good people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
This is false. I've explained this multiple times, but I'm a veteran and I've worked closely with classified materials for almost 20 years. The kinds of mistakes she made (mishandling classified information) are, unfortunately, extremely common, and they're never prosecuted except in cases in which they were sold for profit or knowingly given to foreign agents. Your analysis is just factually false.
And our current president passed classified information in person but gets a pass.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-12-2018 at 03:20 PM.
  #126  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Was your post supposed to have any kind of meaning or intelligent thought behind it? Because if that were the case, it failed miserably.
Of course not. It was an obviously a joke, with precisely as much meaning and intellegent thought as went into your claim that Obama was the real racist, ie none. The difference between the posts is that my post was intentionally funny.

Which brings us to the reason that no one takes you seriously on these boards. While most posters have a a certain percentage of posts that are snark, insults or content free partisanship, your posts consist almost 100% of such. With a handful of exceptions all your arguments are something of the form "No, you're the stupid head!" or its cousin "No your party is the stupid head!" or else it is some rightwing talking point like "Hillary should be locked up!" without any argument or evidence to back it up. And even on the rare occasion you do attempt to back it up, it is inevitably refuted at which point you either ignore their responses or simply state that they are wrong without addressing the point they raise.

The question I ask myself is whether this is by choice, i.e. that you are a troll whose only reason to post is to frustrate liberals with your inanity, or if it is because you really can't tell the difference between a good argument and what you post.

Note that I'm not just saying this because you are on the opposite side of the political spectrum. There are many conservative posters on this board that I disagree vehemently with but at least I recognize that they are trying t make an argument, even it its in my opinion flawed.

Compare this post, this post and this post

with this one, this one and this one

Note I don't mean this to be as insulting as it probably is. It's meant to be more of an intervention, sort of like a co-worker pulling someone aside to recommend that they use deodorant.
  #127  
Old 05-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Penfeather's Avatar
Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
As I have pointed out repeatedly, it doesn't matter if he was born in Hawaii, Kenya, Timbuktu or Footrot Flats.
Wait, what? Where did you read Footrot Flats?
  #128  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:38 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Because, like "nigger", the term is very frequently used in a racially disparaging manner, in this case against Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Hispanics in general. Your intentions don't change this any more than someone calling someone a nigger who didn't mean it in a racist way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Huh? What does this have to do with what I said? If you disagree with something, feel free to tell me what I said that you think is wrong.
It seems to me you are saying intent doesn’t matter with language. Did I misread you?
  #129  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:42 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
It seems to me you are saying intent doesn’t matter with language. Did I misread you?
I was speaking specifically about Clothahump's intentions, but I can see that I could have been more clear. Clothahump used the term in a derogatory way about Mexican immigrants, and it doesn't matter if he was intending to be racist or not; that's being racist. Just like the racists I knew in my childhood who said "it's not racist -- there's black people, and then there's niggers, and the niggers aren't worth anything"... yes, it was racist, even if they didn't think it was.
  #130  
Old 05-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 58,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Note I don't mean this to be as insulting as it probably is. It's meant to be more of an intervention, sort of like a co-worker pulling someone aside to recommend that they use deodorant.
Or at least stop eating it.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #131  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:04 AM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,281
Stop feeding the troll. Just stop it. It's not cute or funny. You don't even look witty.
__________________
The United States is currently running a series of concentration camps at the border. If you support or defend this, you're a monster and we cannot be friends.
  #132  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:38 AM
anomalous1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Yep. But instead of choosing a flat tire, the republican tribe chose a burning car wreck that takes out everyone else on the highway. Just 'cause.

They could have put someone like John Kasich or even Jeb up. But no, they want to burn the whole thing down. And they are going with it.

Electing Trump is using a hand grenade to clear up a clogged toilet. And what is very disappointing, to me, is how this has embolden the racists in this country. I had thought they were a dying breed.

Perhaps this may be good in the long run. Sometimes you must shine a light in the corner to find pests.

Trump supporters show us just exactly what they are.
A different start is the result, a new fixture and new plumbing that doesn't get clogged in the first place. Just FYI, not all Trump supporters are racist, but rather would not want to bring up the ugliness of racism and every twist and turn as the cause and end to all problems. That is the turd that keeps circling the bowl.
  #133  
Old 05-13-2018, 07:25 AM
Vinyl Turnip is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 20,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalous1 View Post
A different start is the result, a new fixture and new plumbing that doesn't get clogged in the first place.
Could they not have checked to see whether the materials were available before trapping us in a room filled with porcelain shards and burnt shit?
  #134  
Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 AM
DrFidelius's Avatar
DrFidelius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Could they not have checked to see whether the materials were available before trapping us in a room filled with porcelain shards and burnt shit?
And just where do you expect us to shit while we try to find a contactor?
__________________
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
  #135  
Old 05-13-2018, 10:50 AM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I was speaking specifically about Clothahump's intentions, but I can see that I could have been more clear. Clothahump used the term in a derogatory way about Mexican immigrants, and it doesn't matter if he was intending to be racist or not; that's being racist. Just like the racists I knew in my childhood who said "it's not racist -- there's black people, and then there's niggers, and the niggers aren't worth anything"... yes, it was racist, even if they didn't think it was.
I see.

Concerning your childhood racists, there are black folks who use practically the same comparison today. Doesn’t that make those black folks racist as well?
  #136  
Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 AM
jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I see.

Concerning your childhood racists, there are black folks who use practically the same comparison today. Doesn’t that make those black folks racist as well?
yeah, I think we all heard that Chris Rock bit too .
  #137  
Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I see.

Concerning your childhood racists, there are black folks who use practically the same comparison today. Doesn’t that make those black folks racist as well?
I've heard the Chris Rock routine, which doesn't really say the same thing (as well as being a comedy routine, not a sober analysis of society and people). I'm comfortable asserting that, in general, it's racist to complain about niggers and talk about how worthless they are.
  #138  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:35 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I've heard the Chris Rock routine, which doesn't really say the same thing (as well as being a comedy routine, not a sober analysis of society and people). I'm comfortable asserting that, in general, it's racist to complain about niggers and talk about how worthless they are.
Wasn’t talking bout Chris Rock. But I mostly share your sentiment. I just don’t think the racial slur adds or detracts from the message.
  #139  
Old 05-13-2018, 02:37 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Wasn’t talking bout Chris Rock. But I mostly share your sentiment. I just don’t think the racial slur adds or detracts from the message.
I think it reveals something inside the speaker (usually, anyway -- I'm not talking about taunting on a basketball court) -- either extreme ignorance, or extreme contempt for the humanity of others, especially of members of the group targeted by the slur. In general, aside from comedy, sports-taunting, close-friends-ribbing, and perhaps a very few other situations, I think using hateful language reveals some hatefulness inside.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-13-2018 at 02:38 PM.
  #140  
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 AM
Gyrate is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Border control and an air show is what it takes to be Hitler now?
Yes, those are definitely the examples I mentioned. Oh wait, they're not, so your handwaving away of my point is noted.

Meanwhile the drip, drip, drip goes on.

Quote:
Or is (R) for party affiliation sufficient?
No. No it isn't. Please don't assume we share the same level of blind partisanship.

Quote:
Because I seem to recall Bush being equated to Hitler.
And I seem to recall Hillary and Obama being called the same. Of course, one of those three actually opened a camp for detaining and torturing people without trial following an invasion based on false pretenses, so some comparisons are more apt than others.
  #141  
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Wait, what? Where did you read Footrot Flats?
In Australia. I loved it.
  #142  
Old 05-14-2018, 09:45 AM
rat avatar's Avatar
rat avatar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
I see.

Concerning your childhood racists, there are black folks who use practically the same comparison today. Doesn’t that make those black folks racist as well?
Prejudice plus power is the typical stipulative definition of racism.
  #143  
Old 05-14-2018, 09:50 AM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Really? What's racist about it? I would like to hear your attempt to explain that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Because, like "nigger", the term is very frequently used in a racially disparaging manner, in this case against Mexicans, Mexican Americans, and Hispanics in general. Your intentions don't change this any more than someone calling someone a nigger who didn't mean it in a racist way.
Let's try a little experiment. Parse this sentence, diagram it, whatever:

"The wetback swam across the river and entered the country illegally."

From that sentence, please tell us all the race of the individual described.
  #144  
Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM
jz78817 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Under Oveur & over Unger
Posts: 11,777
see what games he tries to play? say just enough to insinuate his meaning, but be as much of a fucking weasel as possible to try to turn it on the other person.

"Nuh-uh! You're the racist for assuming I was talking about (ethnicity!)"

schoolyard bullshit.

Last edited by jz78817; 05-14-2018 at 09:58 AM.
  #145  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Let's try a little experiment. Parse this sentence, diagram it, whatever:

"The wetback swam across the river and entered the country illegally."

From that sentence, please tell us all the race of the individual described.

I would guess that he/she is Hispanic because "wetback" is a well known slur used against Hispanics.

If I said a camel jockey towel head drove my cab from the airport

or a hook-nosed Matza gobbler owns my bank

or a slanty eyed, rice cooker runs a restaurant next to my building

Its pretty easy to guess at the race of the person described, because again all these are well known slurs against a particular race. Even if my bank could theoretically be owned by an african american baptist who just happens to have a hooked nose and likes Matza.
  #146  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 34,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
or a hook-nosed Matza gobbler
You misspelled a short guy who wears a yarmulke every day.
  #147  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:14 PM
iiandyiiii's Avatar
iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 33,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Let's try a little experiment. Parse this sentence, diagram it, whatever:

"The wetback swam across the river and entered the country illegally."

From that sentence, please tell us all the race of the individual described.
For every usage I've evern heard in person, and every usage every Hispanic person that I've ever talked to about the slur, the individual would be Mexican and/or Hispanic. If nearly everyone (or even just a very large portion of them) who uses the term uses it as a slur against Mexican and Hispanic people, then the word is a slur against Mexican and Hispanic people, whatever your intentions. No different than any other racial/ethnic slur, many of which began as non-slur terms. Language evolves and changes, and usage defines definitions.
  #148  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Penfeather's Avatar
Penfeather is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
In Australia. I loved it.
It's a great strip. Murray Ball sadly died a year or so ago, so no more Dog and Wal.
  #149  
Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I would guess that he/she is Hispanic because "wetback" is a well known slur used against Hispanics.

If I said a camel jockey towel head drove my cab from the airport

or a hook-nosed Matza gobbler owns my bank

or a slanty eyed, rice cooker runs a restaurant next to my building

Its pretty easy to guess at the race of the person described, because again all these are well known slurs against a particular race. Even if my bank could theoretically be owned by an african american baptist who just happens to have a hooked nose and likes Matza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
For every usage I've evern heard in person, and every usage every Hispanic person that I've ever talked to about the slur, the individual would be Mexican and/or Hispanic. If nearly everyone (or even just a very large portion of them) who uses the term uses it as a slur against Mexican and Hispanic people, then the word is a slur against Mexican and Hispanic people, whatever your intentions. No different than any other racial/ethnic slur, many of which began as non-slur terms. Language evolves and changes, and usage defines definitions.
Thank you for proving that the word "wetback" is not a racist slur.
  #150  
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 PM
octopus's Avatar
octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
Prejudice plus power is the typical stipulative definition of racism.
The power conditional is exceedingly convenient for those wishing to promote double standards.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017