Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 PM

you are alone

This is something I have a problem with and it concerns this nonduality bit. It's a bit off of the "everything is one", and the aspect of there not being an independent self. How everything that appears seperate is just an expression of the universe. SO if everything is one then that means that there are no friends and no one else.

It's an extension of the "no self" proclaimed truth from buddhism. That what you see before you is merely just an extension of the universe and not something independent with it's own essence. Therefor, seperateness is just an illusion since everything is connected by being part of the whole.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 PM

If you lived where I live you'd know what being alone is, I promise. That algae on the pond ain't much company.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:50 PM

https://tenor.com/view/ghost-hug-car...ug-gif-4960809
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 PM

Are you arguing that you are always alone or that you are never alone?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:01 AM

I am alert. The world needs more lerts.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:12 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinaforce View Post
This is something I have a problem with and it concerns this nonduality bit. It's a bit off of the "everything is one", and the aspect of there not being an independent self. How everything that appears seperate is just an expression of the universe. SO if everything is one then that means that there are no friends and no one else.

It's an extension of the "no self" proclaimed truth from buddhism. That what you see before you is merely just an extension of the universe and not something independent with it's own essence. Therefor, seperateness is just an illusion since everything is connected by being part of the whole.
Grow a pair and get used to it is my advice.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:36 AM

Read more Henry Rollins.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Not meaning to slag on the OP, but it's always interesting to see Westerners' take on Buddhism. I lived in a Buddhist society, Thailand, for most of my adult life. (I'm in my 60s now.) My Thai wife is a Buddhist. It's a toss-up which is more bizarre -- Western Buddhists who have never personally experienced a Buddhist society; or Eastern Christians from Buddhist societies who have never personally experienced a Christian society. The Thai Christians I knew back in Thailand were straight out of left field.

(Disclaimer: I am neither a Buddhist nor a Christian.)

Last edited by Siam Sam; 10-25-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:29 AM

you are alone

Am I likely to be eaten by a grue?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Therefor, seperateness is just an illusion
The word after what should’ve been “Therefore” should’ve been “separateness”.

How did I catch that, if you didn’t? Are we somehow viewing stuff differently, with me spotting things and choosing to bring them to your attention — even while I’m aware of yet other things, which I’m choosing not to bring to your attention?

Are you and I, like, separate? In some for-real, no-foolin’ sense?
Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 AM

Your problem is that word "just".

Everything is separate AND everything is connected. Everything is real AND everything is an illusion.

See how much more comforting that is?

Don't thank me, I'm just an illusion.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
That what you see before you is merely just an extension of the universe and not something independent with it's own essence.
As long as the universe keeps extending me Bud Lite, I'm cool with it.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Am I likely to be eaten by a grue?
Here, it's today's internet. You deserve it.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:31 AM

There is a self. It's one of the few things we can actually be confident of. I'm a Pyrrhonist skeptic by inclination and even I can't deny the self. Anyone that does is so far in left field that there is no conversation to be had. By nature of the fact that "I" am conceiving this thought, it proves the "I." Everything else might be fake, but the I has to be there. "I" might be a brain in a vat or a pink luck dragon dreaming along the beaches of Titan, but 'I' must exist or else there would be nothing that is perceiving.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Yes I am. And that's where I want to be.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Not meaning to slag on the OP, but it's always interesting to see Westerners' take on Buddhism. I lived in a Buddhist society, Thailand, for most of my adult life. (I'm in my 60s now.) My Thai wife is a Buddhist. It's a toss-up which is more bizarre -- Western Buddhists who have never personally experienced a Buddhist society; or Eastern Christians from Buddhist societies who have never personally experienced a Christian society. The Thai Christians I knew back in Thailand were straight out of left field.

(Disclaimer: I am neither a Buddhist nor a Christian.)
This is fascinating to me.

Can you give an example of how the Thai Christians were "straight out of left field"?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoy View Post
There is a self. It's one of the few things we can actually be confident of. I'm a Pyrrhonist skeptic by inclination and even I can't deny the self. Anyone that does is so far in left field that there is no conversation to be had. By nature of the fact that "I" am conceiving this thought, it proves the "I." Everything else might be fake, but the I has to be there. "I" might be a brain in a vat or a pink luck dragon dreaming along the beaches of Titan, but 'I' must exist or else there would be nothing that is perceiving.
I agree with this. Without acknowledging the reality of "self", everything becomes unintelligible. Science becomes meaningless and irrational.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:55 AM

Moderator Note

Machinaforce,

I instructed you several months ago to not start a new thread every time you have a philosophical thought. You're welcome to continue posting in any of your numerous existing threads, and people can keep responding to you as you post in them. But no more of this. If you keep at it, you may start earning warnings.

For those other posters participating in the discussion, if this is a topic of particular interest to you, you're welcome to start your own thread and link back to this one for reference. This particular thread is closed.
Closed Thread